Saturday, September 7, 2013

Reflectors and You

So, if you've ever bought a fancy new camera you probably got about a half dozen inserts for accessories. And to be honest, they're usually pretty solid. I'm always drooling over new glass and fancy new flashes that recharge faster and network better.

But what if you're on a budget? Well, this is the post for you.

Okay, so this isn't the most amazing photo ever, but it illustrates a point. You'll notice [or maybe you won't so you'll have to take my word for it] the sun is setting behind the tree.

I would also like to point out that the [Ivy?] little leaves that are in focus are lit up pretty nicely. If you look slightly above said leaves you'll notice it get darker and darker.

I didn't use a flash, I used a reflector. A reflector is what it sounds like it, it reflects light.

In this case I have a decently sized 3 foot reflector hanging out on my knee bouncing light onto those leaves. Ideally, you'd have an assistant lighting this up, but a knee works just fine for still life. You could probably make do with a backpack if it's not too windy.

Not only am I getting golden light where I want it, but I'm also able to expose for the leaves AND the sky behind it. That helps gives us a blue sky, instead of a white one.

"Why would it be white? The sky is blue, duh"

Well, if I didn't brighten up those little leaves my camera would have had to open up the aperture or increase the shutter speed to expose them correctly. That would have meant that area behind the tree would have been really bright, really bright.

That's because if you let enough light collect on the sensor or the film it eventually turns white. Imagine adding a drop of dye to water. The more dye, the dark it gets. will it get black? not unless you're using black dye. But light on a sensor turns white, regardless if it's from a blue sky or a yellow sun. It's science.

So, to review. Light reflectors are good. If this was a face you could have a beautiful sunset behind your subject AND beautiful golden light on his/her face. All of less than 40 bucks. A good deal if you ask me.


No comments:

Post a Comment